For those who don't know, gelatin is extracted from animal bones. Therefore, it certainly isn't vegan. It's found in many things like gummy candies, jello, pudding, marshmallows, etc. Anyway, my vegetarian friends and I were arguing as to whether it is acceptable for vegetarians to eat gelatin. Do you think it is? I don't think it is. I used to eat gummy worms a lot before I heard this, now I don't anymore. So I guess it's a good thing I heard this, no? Now I can even more healthier. Heheh.

Views: 53013

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gelatin = cartilage, brain, and other waste from dead animals, like pig and cow.. And that's disgusting..

I don't consider gelatin ok for vegetarians to eat considering that:
1) An animal has to be slughtered in order to produce it
2) I feel like the concept of what it is is kind of repulsive.

I don't eat gelatin anymore and have been either knocking gelatin-containing stuff out of my diet or replacing it with the vegan alternative.

I will continue eating dairy and eggs for a while. And most eggs are unfertilized anyway, but I haven't eaten gelatin in a long time.

Absolutely not!
I don't eat anything containing gelatin. I used to like gummy bears until I found out what gelatin truly was. Whole foods has some wonderful gummy candy that doesn't have gelatin.
I also recently found out that not all cheeses are vegetarian. I thought they only contained milk. Most hard cheeses have animal rennet in them.

What?! Like a part of the animal? What kind of cheese are we talking about? And, what do they call the ingredients?

You can contact most cheese companies and ask them what type of rennet they use. Here is a good source for information on the types of rennets there are to choose from, and of course, as a vegetarian, you would definately want to stay away from the 'animal rennet'! http://cheese.about.com/od/howcheeseismade/f/rennet_faq.htm

If you look under the ingredients list you might see "rennet" or you might see "non-animal rennet".  The rennet is a substance taken from the stomach of veal calves (pumped out while they're still alive).  I honestly can't imagine who thought that one up!  I've just ordered a book that claims to have easy, quick recipes for vegan "cheese" that I'm going to try.  Fingers crossed! :)

I would rather say most of cheeses sold in retail are animal rennet (99,9% of hard cheese). It makes sense to read ingredients only on soft cheeses - some of them are rennet-free. But fortunately it is super easy to make vegetarian hard cheese home: boil milk, slowly mix vinegar in until the milk will curdle. This cheese is called Paneer

I'm so glad i live in the uk i've never seen a cheese that contains animal rennet other than parmesan. 

i noticed it in goats milk

No....absolutely not!  If you do, you technically are not a vegetarian!

Per sometimes it will say on the cheese wrapper rennet. Then you know part of the cheese is made from the enzymes produced in the stomach of the cow or pig. If it says vegetarian Or microbial rennet it is safe for vegetarians

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service