Vegan and vegetarian friends, these are my questions for you: We live in a meatcentric society, so we are producing a lot of meat and much of it is being thrown away. There are also people starving, even in developed countries like the United States. What is worse, to use the waste meat to feed starving people or just to throw it away and let it rot? Do you think using waste meat to feed people perpetuates this meatcentric system? Or would you rather see people go hungry and an animal die for no reason at all?

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But eating meat itself means stealing from the poor! The more meat we eat, the fewer people we can feed. Besides there are health hazards of consuming meat as well. How could we pass around something that we don't see fit to eat ourselves? I know that your questions comes from a serious concern but if we really gave away waste meat to the poor, how would we be able to break free from the vicious circle of meat production and consumption? So, yes in a meat centric society feeding waste meat to the poor perpetuates meat eating. We will have to draw a definite line somewhere..

I agree with you and these are good points but I feel like any transition we see is going to be very gradual. In order for the amount of waste meat to decrease the demand for meat must decrease. The only way for the demand for meat to decrease is to create better alternatives, such as lab grown or plant based meats, and to create awareness for the veg lifestyle and it's impacts on the environment and society. I feel like the way the world is right now this transition process is going to have to speed up or humanity as we know it will cease to exist. It may be too late for that now anyway. I volunteer at a food shelf and a homeless shelter every week and I see what is donated and what is given away. If it weren't for these organizations all of this food would just be thrown away. I have spoken to many vegans and vegetarians about this and everyone has differing opinions. I think the problem isn't really the waste meat but it is actually the demand for meat in general that perpetuates the cycle. As long as people want meat it will continue. I don't know. I feel like maybe I should think more on this but you made all the right points. I appreciate your feedback.

I understand your ethical dilemma and I have been in such dilemmas myself. Some situations are just tough to extricate oneself from. Probably drop in a line as you are distributing those food packets, that a plant based diet was the way to go or volunteer with some plant based food too. The only way I would see myself out of such a situation would be to sometimes volunteer with my own plant based cooking. You are doing good considering your limitations.

There are some clients at the food shelf that are vegan but their options there are limited. There are also one or two clients at the homeless shelter who are vegetarian but then they can face hard choices about starving or eating meat. I have seen them eat meat on occasion because it is all that is offered to them. I appreciate your open-mindedness on this topic because I have met some veg people that are opposed to it.

I always struggle with the thoughts of waste when my family invites me over for dinner or my wife buys meat and cooks it for dinner. I don't want the meat to be wasted so I eat it but I don't support it myself. You realise how much food is wasted when it goes bad? I hope the give it to the food pantry's but I think most do one would think? 

I only asked this because I volunteer at a food shelf and a homeless shelter. They get a lot of donated meat and other non-vegan products donated from grocery stores and other third parties. If these items didn't go to the poor and homeless they would just be thrown away. So, I think it is a legitimate question and a little bit of an ethical dilemma for most vegetarians and vegans. Maybe as the world slowly transitions to a more sustainable way of living we can transition away from wasting so much, or at least donate more veg friendly products. I feel like as the demand for meat decreases, these waste products will decrease and then maybe you will find more veg products at food shelves and homeless shelters. Until then I don't really see a problem giving the waste meat to the poor, especially if it is just going to be thrown away. Maybe it isn't as good for you as fruits and vegetables but when the alternative is starvation it is better to provide what we can. Maybe not the most popular opinion vegfriend but I feel like it is good to know where everyone stands on this.

is it labeled as to whether it was killed or not? do you let people know if the other food is vegan or not?
are you helping traffic disinformation between the buyer and seller?
probably does promote it. if it rotted a little would it change anything? ya got me:-P :-(.

That is a good point Entity, the animals are dead regardless. I just feel so bad that they are killed and then just thrown out. Killing animals is not really justified but killing them for no reason at all seems worse to me. In response to your other comment, there are maybe one or two people at the food shelf who are vegan and two or three homeless people who are vegetarian. It is hard for them to lead a veg lifestyle because sometimes they just have to eat what is available to them.

my name is entityfree. i think money disconnects people from reality.  my point is, i dont think a lot of people are doing things with the conscious intention of feeding people. consumers too. at some point one has to stop, guess was thinking about smoking. also you feel bad, but how about the houseless? i mean how do they sincerely think regarding the situation. they all are not stupid.  they are just evil. :-p lol. evil homeless people.

are the food shelf people vegan, are they all carnivores or your regular houseless/homeless vegans? :-p :-|

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2017   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service