I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years and have been slowly trying to transition into veganism recently. My dogs are on a raw meat diet because I do not believe in feeding them the normal pet food. Has anyone ever fed their dogs a vegan or vegetarian diet? How did that work out for you? I'd love to put mine on one but I don't want to risk their health. Dogs are naturally carnivores, unlike humans so I am torn on it. 

Views: 4065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Both my dogs are on V-Dog food, completely vegan. I add pumpkin puree, peanut butter, and nutritional yeast . . . they aren't in love with dry food but they love it with the mix-ins. I got the okay from our vet before starting, and since they've been on it, they have less digestive problems, less gas, and their fur is soooooo much softer. It also helped my chubby dog get back to a healthy weight without him having to eat less than he wanted. They both have more energy and more stamina on walks now. I swear by it.

One of my friend kept her dog on a vegetarian diet for years. First because her dog had allergies and a variety of health problems. After a while her dog got better and lived to a venerable age. Vegetarian seems to work for dogs, vegan doesn"t.

I have a vegan dog because of his breed... But dogs are not carnivorous they are omnivorous and can live long and healthy on a vegan or vegetarian diet... my dog is very healthy and full of energy. His breed has been vegetarian for over 300 years and when I gave him meat (before I knew he was supposed to be a vegetarian) his hair fell out... oh he is a Coton De Tulear

Both of my dogs (a Welsh Corgi and Shiba Inu) are on a vegetarian diet. My Welsh Corgi has had an animal protein allergy from the time she was a puppy which caused major diarrhea and vomiting. When my vet suggested a vegetarian diet, I was quite shocked bc I didn't think that dogs could go without animal protein. I switched her to the vegetarian food and she has done amazingly well. She is very healthy, has lots of energy, and has no more gastrointestinal problems. My boyfriend and I decided to switch our Shiba Inu to a vegetarian diet as well to make things easier and she is actually much healthier than on regular dog food. We give them 'Royal Canin - Medi Cal Vegetarian Dry' food. Our vet told us that it is a misconception that dogs should have a heavy animal protein rich diet. It is very hard on their GI tract and liver. The advertising is made to convince the consumer that their dog should be eating 'like a wolf'. Dogs have been domesticated for a long time and don't require the same protein rich diet as wolves. 

Our dogs our very healthy, love their food and it is wonderful that it encompasses our vegetarian ideals. 

Attachments:

Nutrition is all about balance, this balance can be achieved through a full vegetarian diet or an omnivorous diet for obligate carnivores. Since dogs are not like cats and do frequently consume foliage in the wild, or from their prey they are able to subsist strictly on plant matter as pets, since we have the knowledge to round out their diets. This is done by considering the amino acid content of their foods just like we do for our own, for instance, many vegetarians needs to supplement lysine as it is the limiting factor in wheat and we also need to break down the phytic acid that inhibits uptake of other aminos. Protein content is the total mass of overall amino acids, and any one of the 10 essential aminos could be missing from a food, but by making the effort to round out the profile to meet their necessary intake with rectify this.

However, the protein also need to be digestible. For instance eggs have a bio availability rating of 100, and whey isolate is around 104, whereas peanuts are around 46, with mot plant proteins falling around 70. Nutrition is all about micro and macro nutrients, and luckily for obligate carnivores like dogs it can be done if you do it properly. Frequently humans don't take these considerations into mind with their own health though.  You can read up on basic amino acid biochemistry to get a better idea.

factory farmed meat is not good for anyone. i fed my dog a vegan dog food.

V-dog and Halo are the best vegan dog food brands i've found. I read a report that the longest living dog in the world, (now 28 years old) lives on a vegan diet. (I would link the article but I don't have the time to search for it, i'm on break at work. lol) I have two large dogs, a boxer and a pit mix. I feed my Boxer (Leo) a grain free, free range meat food, because Boxer's have very sensitive stomachs and that diet seems to be what works for him. My pit mix (Daisy) has an iron stomach, she thrives on pretty much anything you feed her. I have her on V-dog cause it's local for me here in North Texas and it's cheaper than Halo. I feel like you just need to do whatever is best for your dog, because, like people, different dogs have different dietary needs. In my opinion, being a good veg means putting your animals health concerns above your personal moral beliefs. 
Some dogs can thrive as herbivores, some breeds are not obligate carnivores, we have bred them down and domesticated them and they are far removed from their ancestors. It would be adventageous to consider this when adopting a dog as a vegan, so you have the option of a vegan dog food diet for your pet. Cats, on the other hand, are obligate carnivores. They HAVE to consume meat or they can suffer a host of health problems. I say, if you are a vegan who is conflicted about buying catfood with meat in it, it's best to not own a cat. That's in your moral interests and the cats best interests. If you're okay with feeding your kitty meat-based food then by all means do :) there are still more responsible free-range cat food options you can find if you want to avoid factory farming at all costs. (don't we all? lol) I hope this helped, I was concerned about what to feed my pets when I went veg too, so I did a lot of reading up on it, and talked to my vet. I feel like your vet is the best resource.  

Dog was born meat eater, human was born human. We have to respect every creature's nature.

That's not true.  Theyre opportunistic carnivores so can easily transition into herbivores assuming all nutritional needs are met, primarily D3 and taurine.

Actually, cats are true carnivores, while dogs are omnivores. Dogs can be completely healthy on a vegetarian diet, but you need to watch the levels of certain vitamins, minerals, etc., just like you do with your own body. I'm not 100% sure about a vegan diet, but vegetarian is absolutely okay, as long as you take care of them!

A vegan diet would be really hard to upkeep since dogs can't produce D3 from their skin.

Google a lady called Juliette de Bairacli Levy - she passed away not too long ago at a grand old age and was vegetarian and had beautiful vegetarian Afgan dogs.  They won dog shows due to their beauty and shiny coats and lived long and healthy lives.  :)

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service