"Have milk, yogurt for healthy bones" says new study.

Dairy products such as milk and yogurt promote healthier hip bones than cream, says a new finding from a Harvard Medical School affiliate.

Choosing low-fat milk or yogurt over cream can increase intake of protein, calcium and vitamin D, while limiting intake of saturated fats, said Shivani Sahni, from the Institute for Aging Research (IFAR), an Harvard affiliate, who co-authored the study.

A quarter of those who suffer a hip fracture die within a year of the injury.

About 34 million Americans alone have low bone density, facing a higher risk for osteoporosisand fractures, especially of the hip, spine and wrist.

"Dairy foods provide several important nutrients that are beneficial for bone health," said Sahni, from the Musculoskeletal Research Team, IFAR, the journal Archives of Osteoporosisreports.

"However, cream and its products such as ice cream have lower levels of these nutrients and have higher levels of fat and sugar.

"In this study, 2.5 to three servings of milk and yogurt intake per day were associated with better bone density," she said, according to an IFAR statement.

"More research is needed to examine the role of cheese intake (some of which can be high in fat and sodium), and whether individual dairy foods have a significant impact in reducing fractures," said Sahni.

IFAR researchers based their findings on data collected from a food frequency questionnaire completed by 3,212 participants from the Framingham Offspring study.

They then compared participants' dairy intake with a higher bone mineral density (BMD), a measure of bone health, which revealed the benefits of milk and yogurt versus cream in largely middle-aged men and women.

This research supports the idea that proper nutrition can help combat osteoporosis and fractures.

Osteoporosis is considered a major public health threat for an estimated 44 million Americans alone, or half of those aged 50 and older.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/H...

I'm not gonna take sides on this one but gonna let the members take :)

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone should sue them, but maybe they're not as sue-happy as in the USA. The dairy industry was sued for using the slogan "Milk builds strong bones" and they lost :) Because it hasn't been proven.

LOL, really?

Heck to the yes. That's why they switched to "Does the body good." It's nonspecific haha. If you think about it- the USA is the number one consumer of dairy in the world. So we should all have awesome bones, right? Too bad we have the highest incidents of bone disease in the world also. Hmm strange!

oh didn't know USA is #1 dairy consumer out-beating a 1.3 billion China and a 1.2 billion India

There are interesting studies on casein causing cancer in people and bone disease, let me talk to my professor and see if I can drag them up for you.

Yes, we are, and would be even MORE broke without it :(

I think this study is done in the USA: The Institute for Aging Research (affiliated with Harvard Medical School)

http://www.hebrewseniorlife.org/research-contact-us

Here is their original document:

New Study Sheds Light on Link Between Dairy Intake and Bone Health

Did you read that study? No one has duplicated it yet. It's full of "may" and "perhaps". And they even state clearly, nothing has been proven that dairy reduces bone fractures. This is also not the original study, but a review of the study. Not even that, a summation.

Good Catch! I didn't read the original study which was published in a journal. I just read the news article (which has been published in many top Indian news papers reaching out to millions of people) and the press release.

Btw, there is another article in the Institute's homepage:

"Animal Protein is Good for Bones 
The healthful advantages of a vegan diet-one that excludes all forms of animal protein-have been espoused by its proponents in the popular press. Before swearing off fish, eggs and meat, however, researchers at Hebrew SeniorLife's Institute for Aging Research caution the public to look at their studies, which indicate that overall protein intake-as well as animal protein consumption-promotes bone health."

Read who wrote the article.  9/10 times it's some form of dairy company. 

Strong bones is Vitamin D (sun, mushrooms), weight bearing exercise, and I like what Popeye says; 'cause I eats me spinach" :D

^^ Very very true. And again, when it came time in court, they could not prove shiz. The internet is full of quackery people- company fueled quackery.

Milk causes cancer

http://pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/ask/ask-the-expert-dairy-pr...

" In Harvard’s Physicians Health Study, including more than 20,000 male physicians, those who consumed more than two dairy servings daily had a 34% higher risk of developing prostate cancer than men who consumed little or no dairy products. Several other studies have shown much the same thing."

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/howmilkanddairy.html

"Most of the world is lactose intolerant. Most of us lose the ability to completely digest lactose by age four. As a result, many milk drinkers develop diarrhea, gas, stomach cramps, bowel inflammation and toxicity."

Human beings are born being able to digest the proteins in human milk, not cow's milk. We are not meant to drink it, and this we are not meant to digest it or flourish from it.

RSS

Support Us

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service