I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years now and I find myself loathing the meat eaters around me. Even my closest family relatives I can't stop myself from despising.

I tried convincing them but I hit a wall every time I have a conversation with them regarding this subject and my dad loves mocking me every time he feel like it because it's 'hilarious' to him.

What's worse is the fact that my parents are farmers as well and I get to witness cruelty first hand and can't do anything about it.

I put myself on such a high horse and I'm not even a vegan yet; and still can't shake off the feeling of anger and the need to isolate myself from anybody that eats meat.

And of course I despise myself for the fact that I'm not a vegan yet. The only excuse that I give myself for not being vegan is the fact that at the moment I don't have a job and since I'm forced to live with my parents, I don't have too many options for feeding myself. Even that feels like a lie to me because I could try and cook meals that have no milk, cheese, eggs or honey but I'm JUST TOO LAZY TO DO IT.

So I don't even fight my own battles and still can't stop from being judgmental towards all the meat eaters around me.

I even distanced myself from a few friends that I have because of this issue and can't accept them as friends and respect them as human beings. I can't be a hypocrite and pretend that I still like them and respect them so I push them away.

So the big question is how do you deal with the people that are closest to you and who are still eating meat?

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leading by example is the way to go, at least in my experience. Just show them how awesome being vegan is by leading a healthy lifestyle (with that being said, avoid vegan junk food if possible). My latest experience: winning races. When my friend told others that I won races despite being vegetarian, I told her straight that I won and can run BECAUSE of being vegetarian. That shut her up. :P

Besides, I ignore the meat eaters' comments about how tasty meat is, how protein-deficient I am, etc. Haters gonna hate and you just have to stand true to your beliefs and stand.

With that being said, I'm still on friendly terms with meat eaters (99% of my friends and relatives are!) If you treat them with animosity, they will too. Spread the love and light with them in a discreet, friendly way, like talking about the benefits of being vegetarian when being asked about it.

Good luck!

Exactly my points :) Show people love and respect and they will to you too, and that way you may gradually influence them to be vegetarian anyway! 

You are judging me right now and you were judging me before. Stop being a hater and even a bigger hypocrite and move on.

I haven't judged you once.

You, however, have done nothing but judge and criticize me when I've done nothing wrong! I said nothing judge mental and haven't once told you that what you do or feel is wrong.

I have no idea how you can call me a hater, when my entire point was about not hating people and showing love and compassion to others. I haven't been a hypocrite either. 

You baffle me, you really do.

Emilyele your right it is about helping people down their own journey.We can help and lean a hand to all in need of support with kindness and compassion.

Here's a thought in it.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,the abyss will gaze back into you. Friedrich Nietzsche

I interpret Nietzsche quote for reasoning for my cause.A compassionate one.As we look upon fighting for our cause there is the possibility we could take a piece of that we fight into ourselves,or even commit un-compassionate acts in order to fight it.How sometimes we become what we are fighting against and then can ironically become abusive or corrupted,thus becoming  not about what we first started fighting for, compassion can not have un-compassionate acts

As we are fighting a cause,if we may start to justify committing un-compassionate acts in order to beat it and before we realize it,we have become the very thing we fight against.

A reminder; lets not forget we are here to promote a compassionate cause, and behind that cause,our actions can not be tempered with abusive spirits.For compassion, has nothing to do with a tempered abusive spirit.When fighting inside a cause, be careful,not to become the abyss inside yourself.That abyss it almost as a mirror and it looks back at you,and its not a reflection of compassion but the darkness we see in ourselves.

Remember we're all fighting for same things and on the same team..

Always lead with compassion and love.

Just thoughts mind you  :)

Blu Pam what insightful comments.

When you look at the history of men kind and see what we are capable of, monsters is the right word to describe us. You might say, 'no I refuse to be labelled as such' but wait until life pushes you around and tests you; if you pass those tests by doing the right thing then you can call yourself a person of character, a good person. But  I'm afraid that makes you the exception that only confirms the rule.

Yes, we have to fight against our own nature I'm afraid. The whole system is based on the survival of the fittest. We are part of nature and we have these monster elements integrated in our DNA.

We live in a society where laws are needed to protect us from ourselves. We owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to try to be the best we can be and that is not an easy thing to do.

I do believe  "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

I do not forget that People are animals too So I try to show compassion even when  I understand  they make bad choices, choices I cannot understand, which to me seem cruel and wrong.

I am on my own journey I cannot dictate to others what they should do and vice versa, however if I have managed to serve vegetarian/vegan meals to meat eaters and they therefore have not eaten meat that day then I have achieved something good... I have seen big positive changes in English speaking countries over the 35 years I have not eaten meat.. congratulate yourself on not eating meat and try to remain friends with the meat eaters who love you.  Best wishes

RSS

Support Us

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service