The Hunger Argument

• Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million 
  • Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million 
  • Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people:20 
  • Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock:80 
  • Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95 
  • Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90 
  • How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds 
  • Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000 
  • Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250 
  • Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56 
  • Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

The Environmental Argument

• Cause of global warming: greenhouse effect 
  • Primary cause of greenhouse effect: carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels 
  • Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more
  • Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75 
  • Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85 
  • Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet:260 million 
  • Amount of meat imported to U.S. annually from Central and South America:300,000,000 pounds 
  • Percentage of Central American children under the age of five who are undernourished: 75 
  • Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pound of rainforest beef: 55 square feet 
  • Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses:1,000 per year

The Cancer Argument

• Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times 
  • For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times 
  • For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times 
  • Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times 
  • Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.

Actually, I don't like to argue with meat eaters. Sometimes they just don't want to listen to you. I just talk to those who want to listen, not to argue. I just post the above arguments for knowledge only, and probably it can be used when some stubborn meat-eaters tend to debate with you. Hope it's useful. 

Views: 55414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People don't listen to learn; they listen to respond. When you talk about peoples' food choices they get really defensive. Eating is a survival instinct and people don't want accept that something could really exist outside of their belief system that would force them to have to change something about themselves. 

Everyone knows it's more personally rewarding to close your eyes and just not look, and then dive into that steak. 

People are pathetic. 

This seems to be more fact bullying than anything. Arguing in general is good advice;however, the fact also stands how many people who are vegan or vegetarian than are also at risk for the cancer arguments and how many of them suffer from a lack of vitamins or minerals versus those who do eat meat. I am an ovo-lacto-vegetarian and I am healthy. Perhaps it would be a better idea to post useful tips on how to avoid arguments instead of firing back. Even if people attack you for what you believe, it is your body, you don't have to justify what you do with it. Then again, that is just my opinion.~

Eating is only a personal choice when it doesn't have to do with someone else being exploited. I'm going to argue 'til the day I die.

A true Veggie will never argue with meat eaters. 

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. ;)

Thank you

I don't argue either what's the point?

I had an argument with my brother once and he was (jokingly?) giving me crap for not eating meat because our teeth are made to chew it properly or something like that. :/

Where did you get these numbers?

Aruguing is only helpful to our cause if the person you are having the argument with is willing to listen and understand why we are doing this. Its completely a waste of effort if their mind is closed.
Love this!

Hi everyone! Im working on a free-app that helps Vegetarians & Vegans know whats in their food, and encourages transparency in todays complex modern market.

As a Vegetarian (and a part-time Vegan; ) Ive decided to do it properly once and for all, and create an app that will filter all products that dont belong to our "diet".

I would love if you could support this project, as it is beneficial for all of us (&especially for the little guys..)

All you need to do is Click "Like" (& share if you can) here : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Food-Scope/209134539270834

Thanks!

Yeah I used to get really wound up, angry and stressed when having a 'discussion' with a meat eater; but now I've refined my arguments to the point where the meat eater is left thinking about things and curious to know more. If you say it all with good humour then it usually works...but I find I can be just as righteous as the carnivores who always think they're right! So instead of butting heads with them now I listen to what they have to say and then make my points in a calm way, saying that after seeing various unexaggerated documentaries about factory farming and how the animals are treated, I simply can't justify funding that industry. I also mention that I feel better and healthier on not eating meat and you can't really argue with that, can you?  

I could care less about meat eaters much less have an argument with them. They will never get it. They rationalize everything and their arguments are mostly based on flawed or incomplete reasoning. I could swear these people have a mental illness that inhibits their ability to think logically and reason

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service