The Hunger Argument

• Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million 
  • Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million 
  • Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people:20 
  • Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock:80 
  • Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95 
  • Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90 
  • How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds 
  • Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000 
  • Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250 
  • Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56 
  • Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

The Environmental Argument

• Cause of global warming: greenhouse effect 
  • Primary cause of greenhouse effect: carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels 
  • Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more
  • Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75 
  • Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85 
  • Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet:260 million 
  • Amount of meat imported to U.S. annually from Central and South America:300,000,000 pounds 
  • Percentage of Central American children under the age of five who are undernourished: 75 
  • Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pound of rainforest beef: 55 square feet 
  • Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses:1,000 per year

The Cancer Argument

• Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times 
  • For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times 
  • For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times 
  • Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times 
  • Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.

Actually, I don't like to argue with meat eaters. Sometimes they just don't want to listen to you. I just talk to those who want to listen, not to argue. I just post the above arguments for knowledge only, and probably it can be used when some stubborn meat-eaters tend to debate with you. Hope it's useful. 

Views: 55423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most let their tongue rule over their brain,then there isn't any reason to argue with them anymore,their only excuse is that "It taste great!" And because of this, they don't mind twisting health facts just to suit themselves,to prove that they are right.

Agreed. They'll also use ridiculous sources of proof. Even organizations such as the CDC, the American Dietetic Association, and the FDA (which we all know is super corrupted, and if they can admit it that means something) openly state that a vegan/vegetarian do not have to be deficient in anything. Even some members on here (Trolls who have no lives I guess) will try and use laughable standards of proof, one person sent me a link from a poultry website... They'll twist whatever they can find to desperately cling to their selfish beliefs. 

If it's a one on one debate, it's easy to explain. If against a group, it's better to avoid argument. Present democracy favors the majority! 

I live with a sister that doesn't really understand my want/need to eat less meat.  I need it partly for health issues, it seems she tries to sabatage it everytime I turn around.  I'm saved by the fact I do almost all of the cooking, but she does make comments.  I avoid arguments by fixing enough extra things that I will eat those and not the 'main dish'. 

Does anyone else have problems with family in that way?

when I first turned vegetarian, all my father was against me. he didn't speak to me for quite a long time. It was no use to argue with him. But as the path of time, all what I need was just to show him that I could be healthy by being a vegetarian, and I could get success in life. My father joined me to become a vegetarian before he passed away. 

Hope your sister will understand you someday. Wish you luck.

Xiao, I am sorry for your loss. How wonderful he saw your way in his life, and even became vegetarian. You obviously were very inspirational to him! I wish I could get my parents to change their ways.

My whole family is like that, haha. About a couple of months after I went vegan, my brother asked, "So... when are you going to start eating meat again?" LOL. I think by now they've accepted I'm never going to change my mind, I believe things will get easier for you too as time goes by :)!

I hope so, I havent' just sat her down and told her how cutting back on meat would help my health.  I try to not rock the boat too much as she is the only one working right now.  I'm hoping that when (always say when!) I find a job and can pay my share of the rent/bills that I'll feel more comfortable about standing up for myself.  One thing that does help me is that my daughter also eats meat free, even though we rarely talk, knowing she supports me helps.  And I think being here is going to help as well, if nothing else, knowing others go through the same thing and having a place to vent will relieve the stress. 

I don't argue either... in fact I find it counterproductive to chastise those who choose to eat meat.  Education and an invitation to try vegetarian cooking is my style.  The more you argue, the more people will think you are just "another crazy vegetarian" and it turns them off.  Invite them to your home for a vegetarian meal.  As the saying goes, you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Don't argue with them. Challenge them to a bet. Get a special joint insurance policy. Whoever dies of natural cause first, the survivor shall cash the insurance.

LOL that's a great idea Ryan! But then idk all these people would probably start to go missing :P

they wont stop eating meat so i think we should try to get them see how cruel farms are and only buy humane if they cruel farms see how they losing customers then they will treat animals better cos if they still want to eat animals then i at least want the animals to be happy and not any one be cruel; to them  and kill them in a painless way as possible

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service