If only vegan cheeses weren't so gross and processed...I would be a successful vegan!

Anyone else loathe vegan cheese? It's so processed and weird tasting that you wonder if it's healthier to just eat cheese. But then, there's that little fact about the horrific treatment of dairy cows....

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never had vegan cheese in my entire life since it is almost nonexistent in my country, Malaysia. However, after reading up on the Internet, I can happily say that you should avoid vegan cheese for good, since they are just junk food. No calcium, just fat and tons of additives. The real cheese is no better: granted it has calcium, but since milk has animal protein, it is acidifying and actually depletes our calcium as calcium is drawn from our bones to neutralise the protein. Milk is the nature's perfect food for calves anyway.

Make your own vegan cheese sauce out of cashews, or mock feta out of tofu, etc. if you really want them. There are tons of such recipes online! Just Google "vegan cheese recipe", "vegan feta recipe", "vegan cheese sauce recipe", etc. You will be delighted. :)

Just forget about cheese if you wanna be vegan.  Be tough and get over the hill of cheese addiction.  Cheese/Vegan cheese is all garbage.  Coz please if mother nature wanted man to eat cheese she wouldn't have made it look like a sneeze :D.

"Look like a sneeze". Eww gross! What a funny take on that Cristoforo! I agree that prospective vegans should forget about cheese. There are a lot of delicious vegan dishes which do not require cheese at all, e.g. curries, warm salads, noodle soups, creamy soup etc. Just pump 'em up with loads of spices and veggies for a hearty and satisfying meal :P

yes and i do find that eating cheese is like an addiction due to the opiate effect (ie chemical in it that helps bond the calf to its mother!), so once you get over that first hurdle or go cold turkey...its easier to break the habit and stay off it, for the animals' sake! when i have gone off it for a while i find i don't miss it or it seems too heavy, similar to when i stop eating bread for a while and then all of a sudden it seems way too bloating.

I'm with you on that.

I just found this link, haven't tried any of them, but it seems to be good.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/vegan-cheeses-that-will-make... 

hope it helps.

Christiane

yeah, you should just think of the animals and what they deal with for your appetite. most vegan cheeses aren't so good. I've found Daiya to be pretty good, but i eat it sparingly as it's expensive and processed.

yes and i do find that eating cheese is like an addiction due to the opiate effect (ie chemical in it that helps bond the calf to its mother!), so once you get over that first hurdle or go cold turkey...its easier to break the habit and stay off it, for the animals' sake! when i have gone off it for a while i find i don't miss it or it seems too heavy, similar to when i stop eating bread for a while and then all of a sudden it seems way too bloating.

I am not a fan of the store bought vegan cheese either, although just because of that, it will not make me turn back to eating dairy cheese. I have made cheese from scratch which is a lot better.

Amber, do u have a recipe?

I use Dayia cheese. It is vegan and not bad when mixed into food that needs that stringy cheesy feeling, like lasagna or my mexican tortilla lasagna. But I try to omit the cheese in recipes when I think I can. I only do cheese replacement about 2-3X a month. You can do it. I am new to vegan too. I have been an lacto Veg for a few years now and I am recently going vegan. Took me about a month to get the cheese out of my system and now I'm good. Still struggle with salad dressings when eating out. Love Ranch do not like oil and vinegar at all. I try to bring my own when I know I'm going out.

I use Daiya cream cheese. Their strawberry and chive & onion cream cheeses are good, and their plain is good if I want to make a cream cheese icing for a dessert, but as far as cheese on pizza and stuff.. I just use nutritional yeast. It's cheesy enough, and healthier. 

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service