If there was a country that was 100% vegan, would you move there?

I have thought about this before, I think that if there were an island and/or country where all it's people were vegan I would move there. The country would be, for the most part, self sufficient with farms and basic goods made locally. There would be no need to read labels at the grocery store or question what you ordered at a restaurant. Meditation groups, yoga centers and running clubs would be common recreational activities. Nearly every neighborhood would have a community garden and bartering would take place for foods/services between citizens.  

What do you think? Would you move away from your home to live here?

Views: 3360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes! I'd move in a heartbeat. I've actually been looking for vegetarian/vegan communities to live in after college

Hi! I love this idea! I have thought about it before and I would pack my bags and move there. And why leave your pets behind? I would bring my pets, if I had any. I would raise my future children in that place. But, ofcourse it might be important to be around meateaters, to try to influence them... But seriously, I can't change another person, the only person you can change is yourself! In my own experience it´s almost impossible to get through to meateaters. They get really defensive and even irritated or angry when mentioning a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle - no matter how subtle I try to be. I don't want to spend MY whole life endlessly arguing with carnivore antagonists - it's really tiresome! But those who would like to change their eatinghabits of their own free will would ofcourse be welcome to that new vegan community. I think I would be happier in a vegan community and my happiness should also count for something. Shouldn't it?

I would definitely move there. It would be a great way to foster emulation for people who are thinking about simply taking the vegetarian step, not even vegan, but are not doing simply because of peer and society pressure. If there was such a place, they'd find peer support and finally overcome which ever difficulties they still find to take the final step to being vegetarians and am pretty sure going vegan would come easily then.

I believe the positive vibes from such a community would be so obvious to meatarian visitors, that would be an important factor of sensitisation that might 1st bring meatarians to think about other issues such as absence of guns, atmosphere loaded with love with happy animals, obvious health of vegans, obvious happiness vegans, obviously low depression and nervous breakdown related disorders, etc.

So in the 1st place, meatarians might be reached indirectly. Sometimes, the best way to convince someone is not full confrontation. That can be counterproductive. If someone shows resistance and defensive position, no need insisting, he or she'll just try even harder to not listen to your point.

So the positive vibes from such a community would be an excellent point that'd convince others to open up and want to join. Ok am not looking at life with a naive mind, am not thinking about paradise, everyone's different witth their own temper and off and on days. What I mean is that when you are together with people who lead their life according to compassionate principles, it does create a specific positive atmosphere.

I've actually looked on the web to find out if there were such communities anywhere and didn't find anything in western countries :( or if there are, they are hiding, which really is a shame.

One more point, such a community could also be sanctuary for abused animals.

Some vets try to show that people who abuse animals will abuse children in one way or another, mentally of physically. Mental abuse can take forms we don't even notice anymore, at times it is in the form of patterns repeatedly applied by parents because "that's the way everyone raise their kids".

So I can only see advantages to such a community as long as it keeps on growing & expanding like a normal society, not some kind of closed mysterious sect.

"I would definitely move there. It would be a great way to foster emulation for people who are thinking about simply taking the vegetarian step, not even vegan, but are not doing simply because of peer and society pressure. If there was such a place, they'd find peer support and finally overcome which ever difficulties they still find to take the final step to being vegetarians and am pretty sure going vegan would come easily then."

Um wow. That is an EXCELLENT point that I don't think has been brought up yet. It would be like a giant rehab center for people who didn't want certain food items pushed in their face every day. 

ye i figure it would be the greatest state or country on the planet under the johm rule, so becomming vegan would spread like wild fire =]

LOL. I could go for John Rule. I would vote for you, or at least help lead you toward usurping the throne. I demand to be made General though. 

good the less people on our vegan country the better, hell ye i would move there, and help it become the most efficient state of humanity and creativity imaginable.

the non vegans could visit on a temporary visa only mostly in the non vegan section.

Lord John. Catchy name, right? Reminds me of Revolver haha.

no. the answer would be no for as long as anyone ask. i think that, moving to a 100% vegan country, is to run away from the current situation of the majority of our planets people eating meat. its to run away from the idea of trying to make a change to the community. to implore the idea of vegan/vegetarianism to the society, to let others know of the greatness of it. if we all move to a 100% vegan country, i feel that living there will not solve the problem. i feel that living there will be worse than living where i am now. i love my community, my friends, where i live. running away from a problem does not solve it. to stay is the act and resolve to want to make a change and to allow the idea of vegetarianism and vegan to spread and to allow more people to change.

hmmmm... I don't think getting together in a community would be equivalent to running a way. In this day and age no community, city, region, country can live and prosper in complete isolation. They can only thrive if they are part of the global movement of this world and work together. I think a community in the shape of a city becomes a power :

An economic power

a political power

At the scale of a region and of a country at least.

I also believe that together we can be more efficient and powerful than isolated and dispersed in the global population.

I believe that union, unity makes people strong and enables them to reach their goal.

Such a community could quickly reach the size of a 10 000 inhabitants small city. At the scale of a region, that's a much bigger power for changes than X numbers of isolated people, isolated actions.

there is another reason for living in a vegetarian / vegan community :

looking at the bigger picture :

when paying the home or car insurance, I'd like part of it to go into the vegan circle. Surely the main "mothership" certainly does not give a toss about veganism but if in between, the agent whose selling me the insurance is a vegan, it means part of the money is going into the vegan circle rather than to finance a meatarian's lifestyle.

Same with every other business.

School lunch and snacks : being sure children are given healthy meals no junk.

Doctors, dentists, physicians in general who won't patronise us with crap because every year they get a nice seminar holiday by pharmaceutical industry. Living in a vegan community would mean access to unbiased medical care. And also probably research grounds and facilities.

I bet that a few meatarians would be damn interested in consulting at a medical center offering other alternatives.

Ability to also develop more cruelty free businesses as demand is then and there.

Maybe an alternative banking system such as is already available in some European countries (ecocitizen oriented banking)

I think it would create a great entrepreneurship atmosphere and see small businesses bloom. When putting people, resources, energy, brains together, great ideas come up.

So yes, definitely convinced it would not be living in isolation but setting a model which I am sure would be followed around the world.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service