Hi. I'm new here, so excuse me if this has been posted, but I was hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently became a vegetarian (about 2 months ago), in fact, almost vegan since i don't consume any animal products apart from eggs that don't come from poultry, and even that only once a week. I have started to feel pain in my joints, especially my knees and shoulders. I spoke to my brother, who is a physiotherapist, and he told me that it's because I've made such a radical transition and that my body is not used to consuming only vegetable proteins, he also said that it has to do with my age, that maybe if I was younger my body would adapt, but now it's too late. I'm 53. I can't ask my doctor because he's a very fervent carnivore, nor I can ask to my other brother who is a traumatologist, but loves meat more than anything in the world. So, can anyone tell me if any of that is true? because I don't wanna go back to eating meat for animal protein. 

Views: 12922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a feeling carnivores have a much less balanced diet than Veg@ns. Just a hunch ;)

Hi I found a lot of useful information on the vegetarian society website this page in particular relates to protein - http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=781

The way I understand it, meat has complete proteins, to get complete proteins from veg, eating combinations of things will give you complete proteins just the same, as a general rule, beans and pulses are complete when eaten with cereals such as wheat or grains. I've also read that on a meat based diet you tend to eat far more protein than your body actually needs so the protein thing could be a red herring with regards to your joint pain. 

Joint pain could be related to your omega oils rather than protein as I've seen fish oil supplements advertised as help for joints. I use hemp seed oil to make up my omega oils. It could also be a sign of food intolerance, have you recently introduced something to your diet that you weren't eating before? soya is often a new addition to the diet when someone goes veggie?

Its probably worth you seeing a professional nutritionalist to make sure you are getting a good balanced veggie diet if you are concerned and maybe a food intolerance test. I was told I had IBS till I had a test and then found out I can't eat raw tomatoes. Which I thought was pretty random. But since cutting them out I've not had it since.

Are you eating a lot of lentils?  Foods high in purine's can cause gout, which will hurt joints, often the big toe and ankle.  I know because I had it. Now I stay clear of foods containing high purines, and I'm fine.  Fibromyalgia is another cause of pain and can be treated with diet.  Just some suggestions.  http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-the-diet-conne...

I don't think you should give up so easily and I think it is crazy to say that you are too old to change your diet at 53.  I just had my bloodwork done and my doctor asked about protein, said she would be sure to run tests to check it.  I just got the results and I tested 7.8, with the desired range being 6.0 - 8.0!!!  That's the high side of normal!  I've been a vegetarian since August and I'm mostly vegan now.  Do some reading and find a more informed physician.

Veronica, I've been vegetarian for 4 years, vegan for 3, and I'm 57.

I'm not only much lighter (lost 45 pounds), but I'm much more vigorous, have more stamina.

I had chronic pain that slowly disappeared after going vegan, which mainly meant giving up all dairy.

Since I get absolutely no animal protein, I'd be willing to bet your joint pain has a different cause.

Protein from plant sources is more than enough...and actually perfect for the human body.  Most animal sources of protein are wayyyy tooo much for humans and create havoc in the system.  If you are eating a well rounded vegan diet and consuming enough calories...you will get enough protein.  Only 10 percent of your diet needs to be protein..,,not tooo hard to do.  Protein is amino acids  and the essential ones, about half of them, are the ones you gotta make sure you are getting.  A well varied vegan diet does this......It is awesome you are making the break from animals...I did it and have never felt better!   Eat whole grains..quinoa is awesome.  I make Kale chips every few days.....and they have cashews and nutritional yeast on them...so they have protein.  You got to remember that most doctors have no idea about nutrition.  Isn't that sad?  Read the books...."Eat To Live?" and  "Forks over Knives."  You will not be disappointed....I love them!

Eat lots of spinach and kale everyday or juice it. They're anti inflammatory and will ease the pain. Building up the muscles in your arms and legs will also ease the pain in your joints.

I need to get my hands on some kale. Nom nom nom!

Me too! delish!

Hello and welcome.  Non animal protein intake does not cause joint pain.  Joint pain can be caused by Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but not lack of protein.  Specifically Vitamin D is being recognized as a cause for chronic/joint pain.  As well as Vitamin A, and C deficiencies.  Don't stop what you are doing, just eat more Mushrooms, drink some cherry juice and get  20 minutes of sunshine an day :)  However, if it continues or get worse do see your doctor.  Arthritis or Ricketts is no joke. 

peace

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service