Leonardo DiCaprio helps raise almost $39 million as guest auctioneer

The actor urged buyers to bid as if the planet’s fate depended on them, as he co-hosted the 11th Hour Charity Auction on April 13, where guests included Mark Ruffalo, Salma Hayek and Bradley Cooper. The actor is reported to have spent months soliciting donations from artists and whipping up interest from collectors.

The Great Gatsby star joined Christie’s to raise money for the Leonardo DiCaprio foundation, which deals with environmental issues. A statement from DiCaprio warned that “Nature is abundant and it is resilient, but we have to take action now to protect our planet before it’s too late.”

The auction, which featured works by more than 30 living artists, including British artists like photographer Adam Mcewen, graffiti artist Banksy, and sculptor Anish Kapoor, is reported to have raised $38,827,000 - well over the $18 million that organisers were hoping to raise.

Christie’s called the event “the most important charity action ever”.

Christie’s reported that the event saw 13 world auction records for individual artists and nine works of art were sold fore more than $1 million. 'Untitled’, by American painter Mark Grotjahn, sold for $6.51m, while a portrait of DiCaprio by Elizabeth Peyton sold for $1.05 million, compared to its $400,000-600,000 estimate. DiCaprio’s Great Gatsby co-star, Tobey Maguire, bid $262,500 for Sergej Jensen’s 'Untitled’.

Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/10056783/Leonardo-D...

Views: 3888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow go Leo!! This is great news :)

This is really cool. Congratulations!

That sounds great!
But I can't see where the money is going to...
I'm a little bit distracted by those two tigers (which don't seem to be on the telegraph picture) as for example WWF is supporting tigers but is said to support the hunters and is more destructive to them then helping them. : /

WOW!!   There are awesome places like Christies and awesome humans like Leonardo.. 

And there are companies like Macys supporting Seaworld and encouraging more and more animal abuse.

I have boycotted Macys after the parade yesterday, and I have boycotted Seaworld several years ago (anyone seen the show Blackfish?), and I have also boycotted Jimmy Johns (The owner hunts and kills wild exotic animals, for nothing but game and money even though he is loaded!). Wouldnt it be great if someone like Leonardo could raise funds and fame to destroy these abusers and murderers?

is throwing money at problems really going to solve them or do we need to go root of these issues and reach-out selflessly to everyone, build relationship and develop their mind to be more sensitive to these issues.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service