Ever had some lame person come up to you, "HAHAHAAHAAA YOU'RE VEGETARIAN/VEGAN AND YOU DON'T EAT MEAT LOLZ"?

We've all been there.

We've all been completely exasperated countless times!

Share your stories and any 'one sentence show stoppers' that had shut them up right away! :D 

Views: 8046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like to tell them that I dont fancy the idea of eating a carcass of any animal. that usually shuts them up.  Or when they tell me God put animals here for us to eat, I say "did God tell you that?"

People who say God put animals here for us to eat, are lying though their teeth, If they claim to be Christians they should know in Genesis the first book of the bible, it says that after God gave man dominion over animals he then went on to give them all the plants to eat. So dominion means look after (like God has dominion over us) and does not include eating them. 

Sadly people will always twist religion to suit their needs :(

LOL I've been there.

Yesterday I was having lunch with my colleagues and they didn't have any vegetarian option so I go with a salad and a soup, and a colleague of mine says: "You don't eat meat? What a miserable life." And I replied: "Yeah, animal's life, not mine." To which she replied: "But plants are living beings too.", to which I replied: "My commitment was to stop eating animals because they're sentient beings who suffer in their skin, just like us. Plants don't have any nervous system, not even brain, for that matter, so they don't suffer."

Needless to say she lost it and one of my colleagues was like: ohhhh, she put you to shame. xD

I think because I'm older, I don't get smart-ass comments. Maybe  I get a certain level of respect off the bat. Only a few family members are a bit annoyed because they have to think about my diet when they plan on what to cook for family gatherings.

Also, family and friends saw me change from being overweight to having a much nicer and fitter physique after adopting vegetarianism in 2008. I do hear "don't lose any more weight". But no one challenges me or teases me about meat.

I do often take the opportunity to explain my improvements in health, reduction of formerly chronic pain to no pain at all. No more going to the doctor about some mysterious pain in my chest, no more heartburn, never any indigestion, never any headaches. 

I feel so much better, and that's what anyone hears from me if they make any comment at all.

yes and I laugh back and say HAHAHA at least I don't find eating DEAD flesh appealing 

I got a new one.

*Someone asks a stupid inflammatory question*

Me: Hmm, vegan must be french for "ask me stupid questions."

I work in a mexican restaurant and was talking to the boss' son trying to find something to eat for dinner (have recently found out I have a wheat allergy too, so there's not a lot I can eat there anymore) and explaining to him why I've made my food choices. He replied 'I thought you were doing it just to be really skinny!'. Well, yes, it's a bonus, but not on the top of my list. 

Elephants and many other large animals are vegetarian. Look how strong they are...

Yeah.  Its pretty silly for people to think you need to eat steak and chicken when steak and chicken have a vegan diet.

Thats how brainwashing goes though. I used 2 think this way too.

I hear too many comments. I tend to just ignore them or respond with something short and sweet. I see no point in becoming inflamed by ignorance. If someone is receptive to my reasons for being vegan, I will happily talk with them.

Anywho... I just wanted to share this quote by Henry David Thoreau, because I love it so much....

"One farmer says to me, 'You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with;' and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service