Is it good to consume organic soy milk? Making sure is actually GMO free. I know all the problems that non fermented soy could produce, but I'm not sure if organic soybean is dangerous too. Some websites affirm soybean is 'naturally' toxic...
Thank you in advance!

Views: 2044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The soy scare is a dairy industry ploy. Simple as that. Soy milk is a wonderful source of easy digestible protein. Soy milk is a great source of calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and also iron. So you've got complete protein, vitamins and minerals that are especially good for vegans, all in a convenient, easily digestible, and tasty product. The most important things to look for in soy milk are 1)non-GMO, 2)made from whole beans.

There is nothing about soy milk to be afraid of in any way. Some people have an allergic disposition and soy milk is in the class of foods that people that have such dispositions should be aware. If you don't have an allergic history, you're good to go. Enjoy soy!

You'll have to try different brands and varieties within each brand, they vary greatly within brands. Within one brand you will often find one variety that tastes awful and another variety that's delicious. So you just have to experiment. Find some that tastes great and fits your ethical demands. Silk Very Vanilla(in the purple container) makes the best lattes hands down and is also great for baking sweet treats. They also make an organic unsweetened milk that's perfect for non-sweet dishes. Kikkoman makes a good milk but is harder to find. There are so many, and if you don't care for the taste of some you try, it will probably be great in an appropriate cooked or baked recipe.

So don't listen to the misinformation, it's all put out by the dairy industry. People have been drinking soy milk for nearly 2000 years, it's clearly a safe and healthy choice for your diet.

Oh, and Omega-3! A quick search yielded some interesting facts from Silk brand soy: Silk brand facts about soy There's some info regarding hormones and a lot more. Of course this is from the opposite side of the argument but personally I choose to believe what I know from experience and the vegan community, before the dairy industry.

my mother who has come through a breast cancer battle herself has been told to avoid all soy products

Here are a few links to some information regarding the subject. There's a lot more. We believe this soy hysteria has been created and propagated by the rich and powerful dairy industry. They're even influencing doctors which is sad because doctors shouldn't be influenced by propaganda, they should be influenced by science. There is no evidence that soy milk, as well as tofu, tempeh, or edemame contribute to causing or recurrence of breast cancer. It is advised to consume soy products made from whole soy beans, as modern refined soy products such as soy powder and soy protein isolate are new enough that they require more study, but we all know that refined products tend to be unhealthy. So it's hard to say whether your mother's doctor has been misinformed or whether there's been some miscommunication. Perhaps it would be a good idea to present the facts about soy to her doctor after you've done some considerable research on the subject. Hope this helps, goodnight.

The Bottom Line   Soy Milk and Breast Cancer   BREASTCANCER.ORG

Thanks, i will check this out

One place to start your search in finding safe soy to consume would be at http://www.cornucopia.org

In the research I did before going veg, I found that the issue was mostly the processed soy to be concerned about.  But you should watch your intact of soy in general because soybeans do produce estrogen and can increase your risk of cancer.

Soy has phytoestrogen, not the same thing as the estrogen produced by your body, and nowhere near the strength. There's no evidence that shows phytoestrogens increase risk of cancer. In fact, there is evidence that phytoestrogens may decrease breast cancer risk and recurrence of cancer. Real world evidence such as Japanese women who consume several times the soy daily as Americans who are "heavy" consumers, and Japanese women have far lower incidence of breast cancer. So you have real world evidence and numerous scientific studies that show the same results, no evidence that there is any cause/effect relationship, and evidence that there is a prevention-effect.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service