I'm with a guy who's not a vegetarian. I always thought that he wasn't that into meat and didn't have anything against me being vegan. But today he said something like 'you're pretty alone with your opinion' (meaning that nearly noone shared my opinion on the topic of veganism) I tried to convince him that there are many more like me and we ended up discussing the whole topic, he said it just wasn't natural to be vegetarian / vegan and we nearly ended up having a fight about it.

So I want to know: How do people react to your being vegetarian / vegan? Have you ever encountered a similar situation? And how do you react?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 7442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was a vegetarian for over half my life. In the last 10 months my husband and I both turned vegan. We love the change and have both discussed it and are never going back. Not even to vegetarianism. Maybe on my birthday I will have a small amount of white chocolate but otherwise this lifestyle is a style that I am committed to.

My mother cooked vegetarian meals for me and did not seem to have any trouble with me being a vegetarian. However, when we decided to become vegan both sets of parents were very harsh and lack compassion toward the change. After a few weeks my parents settled down and accepted that they might have to cook differently when we visit. I think they see that there are still a very large array of foods that one can eat that do not include any kind of animal product.

My in laws are a different story. The still criticize and I do not expect them to respect our decision. I do not look forward to the time in our lives where we decide to have and raise vegan children. Alas, that is our plight.

If your boyfriend wants to believe that humans are naturally meat eaters that is his decision. You should accept it and respect it. I am personally very disgusted by meat and do not find it appealing. I do not understand how people can eat it. However, I would never say these things to someone who does eat it. The reason we decided to change was because we watched a documentary called, "Forks Over Knives". We decided to take our health into our own hands after we understood how bad animal products are for humans. Also we were highly opposed to the treatment of animals and believe that consumption of animal products in any way is contribution to their suffering. Again, I would never say this to another person. I just believe that I would never want to contribute in that way.

If your boyfriend tells you that it is unnatural ask him how much research he has done into the vegan diet. Humans do not need meat for protein. Meat it actually very difficult to digest. Milk is INCREDIBLY unnatural for humans to drink, and is also very difficult to digest. That is why adults become lactose intolerant. We are only supposed to have breast milk (from our mothers and not cows) until the age of about 5. Eggs have cholesterol which the human body produces enough of on its own; adding more cholesterol is just plain foolish. Cholesterol exists in all animal products and it non-existent in plants. Not to mention casein; the main protein found in animal products. It is tried and tested and has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt to promote all stages of free radical(cancer) growth in humans. You can ask him if he has knew any of this. All of this information is available in many different sources and is supported by a largely growing amount of medical doctors.

Does it make sense that dairy/meat councils are formed by the same people who create diet guidelines in both the united states and canada? Children are indoctrinated with the idea that meat is good for them through school and nutrition programs so of course people don't think to question it. Humans only need about 8-12% protein in their diet in a day and we are told consistently that we need to eat at least two servings of meat a day. It makes no sense, how could millions of vegans function every day if they were starving and lacking protein!

Furthermore, the human body is built like herbivores and is dissimilar to carnivores in every way. The only exception is the forward facing eyes that we have (which people like to argue is the reason we are meant to eat meat). Forward facing eyes are the best kind of eyes for good 3d space visualization, so there goes that argument. Here is a list of ways in which we are like herbivores and not like carnivores. Next time he brings it up you can show him the physical evidence and he will not be able to logically reason that humans are meant to hunt and eat animals.

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)

The fact that we MUST cook animal flesh in order to make it safe and edible shows that we were not meant to eat it. True wild carnivores never eat cooked flesh because it is not nutrient-rich enough for them.

Even bears who are true omnivores will not eat cooked meat and always eat salmon raw because the way in which their bodies absorb nutrients from animals flesh is best carried out through eating the meat raw.

I don't know your boyfriend but his comments sound nasty, uninformed and unsupportive. He needs to do some research before he judges your lifestyle. Lastly, sorry for the long rant but I am SO disgusted by the disrespect and attacks that vegans/vegetarians receive. If this type of prejudice were facing an ethnic minority group you can bet that people would be disgusted by it but because we chose to eat differently we are attacked and mocked!

Best of luck!

Very informative. Thanks for sharing this info!

Wonderful evidence  for peolle to read,and  if thats not enough to convince you,just look deep into the gentle ways of other species that are none flesh eaters  ,that have practiced none violence  throughout  all time.I just cannot understand why as humans we are so far behind!!!

Thanks for your very thoughtful and knowledge-based reply! I appreciate it very much, I knew most of these facts but somehow they never come to my mind when I argue about this topic with someone. Next time we're talking about this, I'll just show him this information file and I hope he'll no longer judge me for being vegan, which is just who I am. This documentation that you mentioned, can you tell me roughly what it is about? I'd like to see it, can you find it on the internet?

It is called "Forks Over Knives" by Lee Fulkerson. It basically talks about the scientific evidence based understanding that science is revealing about the human body. All of the studies show that we are not meant to eat animal products. Its about looking at things positively and showing people that you are entirely responsible for your health, WE have the control! :)

Great info, but you said you would never say this stuff to another person. Why not? People need to know the truth and learn where their food is really coming from.

I tell people if they ask but in a respectful way. I feel that people look at veganism like a religion. If you come on too strong they react negatively. If you gently poke and prod here and there people seem to be more accepting.

tx, v.gd info !!!

Wow! That's so enlightening ! I've had people who I considered friends attack me in public because I'm a vegetarian, and it hurt in the beginning, then it just made me angry, then I moved on to compassion because why should they attack you in that way? They really said things that hurt like that I was using vegetarianism to get people's attention and that sort of thing (you know, the usual stuff) and now it's just..."let's agree to disagree" whenever I see it coming. I realized by observing people that most of them (specially in my country, where not eating meat practically goes against the national identity and therefor qualifies almost as treason) that people feel that you are judging them, taking sides, saying that they are wrong in something, and I usually try to get them to see that as I want my choice to be respected as I respect everyone else's choice. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and when it doesn't then...there's only so much we can do.

Personally, I think it's IS natural to be vegetarian/vegan. I am Christian and I am vegetarian due to my religious beliefs. The Bible dictated in the beginning that Man would eat herbs and plants and the fruits of plants, and the Bible dictates much later on that after death in eternal life "Lion shall lie down with the lamb," not the lion shall eat the lamb! So I feel I'm prepared and won't have a major adjustment!

I listen to other's opinions as long as they are not disrespectful, and if they become argumentative, I'll debate them as long as it doesn't get rude and hostile--I'm a peaceable person. But let your guy know that you, he, and others probably have many differences of opinions on what is right, wrong, natural or not, from your favorite teams to child rearing to religion to what decor you prefer in your kitchen. You can go extreme with trying to get your viewpoint across by showing him a few real videos of the torture animals endure for human "pleasure" and profit (after which he'll surely go veg unless he has been so desensitized his soul is cold and immune to it) or you can agree to disagree and continue to be the bigger, better, kinder person you clearly are. Good luck!

Jesus caught fish and ate them? What about all the animal sacrifice in the OT?

always stay humble and be firm about your decision because if you get mad at people they will think more wrong about you. what is good about being humble is that the we always remain calm and at peace. i just wish that your boyfriend would be supportive to you rather than being harsh about your choice in life, because later on if things like this continues it will always be the cause of your fight with each other.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service