100 g kale, steamed and chopped

170 g ( 1 cup ) quinoa

500 ml ( 1 pint ) vegetable stock – I used kallo organic stock cubes

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground

A little flour for dusting

2 tablespoons oil for frying, per batch of 3

METHOD

Prepare the quinoa by putting into a pan with the stock and bringing to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Take off of the heat and cover with a lid allowing for the quinoa to soak up the rest of the liquid and become fluffy. If there is still a little liquid left, place on a low heat and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Leave to one side.

Fry the onions and garlic, with a pinch of salt, over a medium heat until the onions have softened and caramelised.

Put the onions into a bowl with the quinoa and all other ingredients and using your hands mash everything together well.

Form into 6 equal size cakes and press the cakes into the flour, shaking off any excess.

Fry in 2 batches of 3 cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. The cakes will soak up the oil so be sure not to use more than 2 tablespoons of oil per batch.

Serve hot.

Source : http://www.theveganhousehold.com/mains/quinoa-and-kale-cakes/

Views: 36039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you bake these instead of frying?

i would like to bake also, not fry...please advise

Amazing! I'm going to try this recipe right away! Can't wait!

These are awesome!  I shared your recipe on my website - which directs my viewers to your page here! 

Just made these - added a little nutritional yeast and served with hot sauce on the side.  Delicious

Best potatoes to use are Yukon Gold. They aren't "large" so will have to use several to make up the difference. A more complex carb than other types of potatoes. Really good recipe. Found gluten free bread crumbs in WF yesterday. These would work great in vegan burgers!

RSS

Support Us

© 2017   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service