If you recently started reading about vegetarian diets, you have probably read all sorts of strange vegetarian terms and categories like "vegan," "ovo-lacto vegetarian," and "semi-vegetarian." You probably wondered what the big deal was. After all, what is so conceptually tough about not eating meat?

And you were right!

The distinctions between these sub-categories of vegetarian are actually small, but each is very important to members who belong to the groups. For them, these distinctions aren't arbitrary lines; they are important dietary or ethical decisions.

Let's take a look at some of these groups:

VEGETARIAN:

Vegetarian is a blanket term used to describe a person who does not consume meat, poultry, fish, or seafood. This grouping includes vegans and the various sub- categories of vegetarian; however, it generally implies someone who has less dietary restrictions than a vegan.

SEMI-VEGETARIAN:

The term semi-vegetarian is usually used to describe someone who is a vegetarian who consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken, and fish, but does not consume other animal flesh.

OVO-LACTO-VEGETARIAN:

Ovo-lacto vegetarians are vegetarians who do not consume meat, poultry, fish, and seafood, but do consume eggs and milk. This is the largest group of vegetarians.

OVO-VEGETARIAN:

Ovo-vegetarian is a term used to describe someone who would be a vegan if they did not consume eggs.

LACTO-VEGETARIAN:

Lacto-vegetarian is a term used to describe someone who would be a vegan if they did not consume milk.

VEGAN:

Vegan is the strictest sub-category of vegetarians. Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. Some go as far as not even consuming honey and yeast. Others do not wear any clothing made from animal products.

Important:Take some time to figure out for yourself, what group you will belong to when you become a vegetarian. You will want to consider both dietary and ethical reasons for choosing this lifestyle.

Views: 22786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did I just miss something here? o.O

*secretly high fives Lauren*

Giselle.I totally agree with you.

We are not perfect.The people around us are not perfect. People do things we don't agree with, disappoint, and fall short.In this mortal life it will always be that way.Nevertheless,some must let go of their grievances..That is the Lord’s way.Remember, heaven is filled with those who have this in common,not being perfect.They are forgiven.And they forgive.

Attacking others never works, not ever.Love and compassion goes a long way,in change.If we're going to change anything,we're not going to do it by lowering to a level of unkindness and judgement..I think  the greatest people that are remembered, are people like Gandhi,Martin Luther King,Nelson Mandela and many more.They're peaceful warriors and they're remembered for their kind and peaceful approach.It's what we remember about them and made them the greatest among men,their compassion.

Thank you Jenii. I appreciate it. I really do :]  <3

I don't like bullies either at all.. Giselle..A little understanding and kindness goes a long way in most all things ..<3

I agree Giselle and Jenii.  I have been spewing my economy rap for some time now on this site about the cost of vegan fashion and the wastefulness of throwing out old clothes just so nobody points a vegan finger at me.  I can't be bothered by that.  The clothes I wear keep me from being naked in public.  They no longer contribute to animal harm at the moment I wear them anymore than the health I have due to taking an animal tested vaccine at birth.

I see some contradictions going on when someone doesn't want to feel guilty for using shampoos and medicines in the past that were not vegan but can't fathom accepting that their purchase of an article of clothing which is not vegan was also in the past.

past is past is past and now lets live in the present.  this argument of why non-vegans are wrong is getting really old and I just think we should all move on and be who we are with animals in mind.  for instance, why don't we all start talking about what we do for animals then what people think that we don't do?

O I agree, some positive flow needs to be up in the mix.I'm about to give it some flavor ;]

I'm surprised you didn't list "raw vegan"

I think because of the way the graphics look, it was copied from another site and posted here for info.

But that makes me think, there are all these pressures coming from vegans lately about how that semi-vegetarians are full of poop but if we got some hardcore raw vegans on here, they would surely do battle with the rank and file vegans around here who still cook their meals.

I had been in a super fanatical group of raw vegans before, so I know it would happen. Hmmm, maybe I will call them up just for balance sake on the forum!

Same here. I did not know I would become a vegan this year. I have children..one who is a special needs child and my bf just found a good job. I dont have the money like a well off high on their horse teenage vegan might have but I do what I can. I threw out makeup and hopefully once my bf and I are stable I will buy makeup, shampoo, clothing, etc that is not used on animals. I bought my bf a leather coat and belt last year, I want to throw it out as soon as possible but for now he needs it sadly. He is a big guy and without the coat or belt..his pants would fall off, and he would be cold without a coat. Not everyone is perfect. But once you are aware of the harm and have the money to make a change, do it. Not everyone is made of money but we can save up some money from time to time and slowly change our wardrobe. But we should never bash others

I am a ovo-lacto-vegetarian, and I also won't wear, and use any products that have been tested on animals! or go and watch animals for entertainment!

much love xoxo

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I don't know how I came to this but it just happened and I'm glad about it although my family and friends are all meat eaters. What upsets me is when they are saying:eat meat and you are in a better mood or I prepared Viennese Schnitzel and I have always to exolain I won't die if hunger. Another reason what really upsets me is p.e. that cage free eggs do have the double price in the US and in Austria. That brings me to that: much more people want to be vegetarians but it's a financial desicion :-(. I'm one of the happy persons who knows farmers where I can buy meat (for my family)thst comes from animals they had a good time before they had to die :-( and I even get my milk and eggs there.Otherwise I think nobody has the right to judge any person eating meat it's their own choice. And what me makes really happy -my daughter is her fifth day meatless. :-) even I didn't force her.I hope one day all family members will be vegetarians or reduce their meat consumption.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service