I'm trying to balance dance, soccer, and school and I find that I'm starting to feel very stressed and tired. None of my family or friends are vegetarian and they don't completely understand my situation. Any tips on how to balance a busy life and being vegetarian? What can I do to keep my balancing act in control without feeling worn out?

Views: 6252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you have to rest more. ...  ehhhehehe  

Probably if you weren t veg you would me much more stressed .

Eat fruits as much as possible .

HUGS from Italy  

^^ Yes yes :) We must remember as veggies, that vegetables are lower sources of "energy" than meat and dairy, because our foods are lower in fats generally. We have to eat more to meet our energy needs! So eat more often throughout the day, small energizing meals :)

Make smoothies and eat more organic raw food!

You can take a couple of hours on one day of the week to prepare food: Vegan sandwich spreads, cooked beans, cooked grains (spelt, red rice, brown rice, bulgur, etc.), homemade salad dressings, etc. I usually shop all fresh produce on the market on Saturday morning, and prepare the food for the week on a Sunday afternoon. Put everything in the fridge in reusable plastic containers or jars/ bottles. For breakfast you can easily have müsli with fruit and almond milk prepared in less than 5 minutes. Then every morning, I make my lunch in 5 minutes and take it to work with me, also in reusable plastic containers. Usually a salad made from all kinds of greens, with some nuts, beans, and grains on top. (You can transport the dressing in a small glass jar with a tight lid.) Or a sandwich from wholewheat bread with a vegan spread and some cucumbers or tomatoes. In the evening, I make a quick vegetable sauce within 10 minutes and heat the pre-cooked grains, or I make veggie bean burgers from a mixture of the grains and the beans, with some quickly steamed greens, or a yummy veggie soup. Sometimes I also fry up some tofu and serve it with greens and grains. 
This way, I reduce my daily kitchen time to about 1/2 hour, and in the weekend, when I'm less stressed out, I take some more time to try new recipes and prepare the food for the week.

Completely agree with the smoothie idea, as I have one every morning.   It gives you a good start to the day and also a good source of protein, veggies and carbs.    I put kale, fruit and some vegan protein powder in mine.   Also, for a quick on the go snack, use almond butter sandwiches.  They will help fill you up and give you the protein and carbs for an active lifestyle

I can understand your problem. I'm vegetarian since age 11; now I'm 17. In the beginnings I did horseback riding and gymnastics on an higher level. When I started I didn't feel sick oder tired. But with time this feeling developed. I try to get rid of it through a vegetable based diet and many fruits. Even important is the right amount of carbon hydrates. Mostly in a young age people need 1/2 of their diet made up from carbon hydrates.
To combine my busy school life, my hobbies like and my sports (still horseback riding and jogging minimum twice a week) I often prepare food. When I have to eat in school, I prepare more vegetables and fruit. Here in Germany you're allowed to leave the school turing lunch time, so we can decide on our own what to eat. It's quite important to eat healty but even with an high energy level. For this I love to eat Chinese food or just some bread. Sometimes I prepare an healty lunch at home and take it with me to school.
A last tip: Look for easy and quick recipes. There are many books available with delicious and healty recipes. There are some special vegetarian books about cooking under 20 minutes per meal. I love these recipes, I even collected more than 10 of those books ;D

Hey Annalise. I'm kinda in the same situation as you. I'm a vegetarian, a college student, and am the only member of my family that doesn't eat meat. It can be tough, but try to talk to your parents about why you choose to be a vegetarian. Maybe they have concerns about your nutrient intake. I found it really helpful when I sat down with my mom and told her how I really felt about eating meat. Regarding what you should eat when you find yourself in a time crunch, I would recommend veggies and fruits such as apples that keep you satisfied until your next sit down meal. Also, try helping out with meal plans at home. Cooking healthy meals with your family will allow you take charge of what you're eating. Good luck!

Like some said before, trying frozen dishes works really well since you don't need to worry about cooking a complete dinner out of nowhere. Nuts and a lot of fruits also are a great addition to a diet for an active lifestyle. Maybe trying some new dishes would make you more confident with what can be a stressful choice such as being a vegetarian. I experimented in the kitchen a long time ago, and it keeps getting better, specially when entertaining guests. And remember, ethics aside, being a vegetarian will give you more energy and less problems in the long run, so stay sharp Anna. =)

Oh, and smoothies indeed make any rainy day better.

My point on preparing a meal with your family was not intended to be a hassle. It was a suggestion to spend time together. Your reply is a little rude.

Whenever I'm on the go and busy all day, I try to keep a banana, orange, apple, almonds, granola or trail mix with me in my bag so I can snack when I get the opportunity. If I had time during the weekend, especially a sunday afternoon/evening, I would make a larger dish that I can eat during the week. My old college roommate used to run track so she was always on the go to and from practice, meets, school, home and church. She would make a large pot of soup the one day that she had free, then she would freeze it in one serving, ready to microwave amounts.

Before any kind of sports practice or sports event, make sure you get enough carbs the night before and the day of. If you can't do that or forget, a banana beforehand is always good. Don't forget to take a little bit of time each day to breathe and tell yourself that it'll be okay. :)

Having raw foodies at hands grasp is a big help for those crashing moments. I prominantly bring along a couple of tougher fruits with substance and can endure the days passing (Apples, Pears, Peaches, ...) and would consider nuts as another add to the inventory.

Calorie balance is importance and so is the timing/distribution of eating. The more spread out eating is (smaller protions)digestion is improved and all body chemical/hormonal/physical systems are better regulated. I am typically hovering 6 times I eat within the day (though the 3 square meal timings are just a lil' bit bigger portions + more diverse spread of foods). As an active runner (+ lifter), I strill have the worn sensation day round, but I do not encounter the overwhelming tired sensation from the animal consumption + through reduced food portions.

Best of luck in finding a happy medium of enjoying the active style and stickin through as veg(etarian)

Get up early and do Tai Chi first and then Yoga. Then start your day with a little apple cider vinegar mixed with some cinnamon. I believe food combining is quite important. On full moons try fasting. Many religions do this. Eat lots of raw foods. Try to eat 80% raw and 20% cooked. Get your vitamin B12 from a healthy cereal instead of a vitamin. Eat mono meals if you can. Eating one type of fruit is good. Check out these things below. Yes to probiotics like "Yakult" Just suggestions.

http://www.enlightenprinciple.com/

http://fullyraw.com/

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/0911104216/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1...

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service