I've got some tofu but don't know what to do with it. I've never used it before so don't know how to prepare it. Any tips on recipes and general preparation? 

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good find. Thanks very much. :- )

Cut it in half, place o a pile of paper towels. Place more towels on top and put something flat and heavy on it. Let sit at least 20 minutes. This will press a lot of the water out, which helps the texture. Cubed tofu goes good in any stir fry or curry. You can saute or bake it first (20-30 minutes at 350). A few recipes:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-with-a-vegan-318406 - Tofu bacon

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-tofu-bites/detail.aspx

And my personal favorite:

1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained and water pressed out
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the tofu into 1/4″ thick slices. In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and salt, mix well.

Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Take one tofuslice and brush the sides and edges with olive oil, place in the breadcrumbs and coat well. Then place onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all the slices are coated.

Bake tofu slices for about 20 – 30 minutes until light golden brown and crispy, turning them over halfway through. Serve with your dipping sauce of choice – ketchup, bbq sauce, or ranch dressing, or my favorite-spicy peanut sauce.

Thanks allot for all your time writing this reply, much appreciated and very helpful. :- )

No problem, I'm a huge tofu fan. If at all possible, try to find a local shop that makes fresh tofu. We had one open up here this year, and I got to say it is so much better than the regular stuff. 

I just got mine from the supermarket boxed up. Don't think there is anywhere like that I'm afraid.  

If it is available Bridge tofu makes handmade tofu. It's the closest thing to homemade tofu you can get, and is available in some stores. It's my favorite tofu.

I don't usually use Tofu in hot dishes. I rather use it as a replacement for dairy in dips. If you have a decent blender, find a recipe for a favorite dip and instead of sour cream, use the Tofu with nutitional yeast and some olive oil. I use about two tablespoons of Yeast and EVOO for each 14 oz package of firm tofu. Add some garlic powder, salt, pepper and thawed frozen spinach (drained with paper towels) and it makes a good spinach dip. Or roasted red peppers in stead of the spinach blended before adding the tofu for a roasted red pepper dip. Enjoy!

Ooo thats sounds good. Thanks very much :)

I like it stir-fried with vegetables or steamed (Being an Asian)... These are my favourites:

1. Fry tofu, and stir-fry it with cilantro, French beans, etc.

2. Cook it in soup.

First, cook the vegetables that take time to cook (carrots, baby corn etc.) to flavour the soup. Then, put in other veggie such as tomatoes. You can put in the tofu at this time. Be sure that firm tofu is used, though. Add salt to taste. This soup is so sweet that you need not put in ANY sugar, especially if you use more tomatoes. You can also add in olive/sesame oil.

Besides, you can cook tofu soup with spinach and nori. They taste sensational! 

3. Steam the tofu, top it with veggies and light sauces. I like mine topped with light soy sauce, scallions and shallots. Optionally, you can try frozen beans (cooked of course), mixed vegetables or asparagus with any sauce you like.

4. Fry the tofu and cut into small cubes. Add them to fried rice-well, stir-fry rice with mixed veggie and fried tofu cubes. YUM! This is another yummy vegetarian fare that takes almost no time to prepare.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for that Sharon. I made a stir fry and noodles with tofu it's on my wall if you're curious :) 

RSS

Support Us

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

© 2019   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service