I just read somewhere that being vegetarian is a sin. The writer said that the animals were created in this world to act as a source of food. WTF!! 

Views: 17157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh my...
looks like a twister's been here lol!
instead of the meat, let's chill people.

After all of that, emotions running high... the book of Genesis. Indeed, God gave man dominion over animals, but not to eat. To tend to them to care for them. Nowhere does that passage even fleetingly mention using animals as food.
I read the Bible in Hebrew, and verse 29 on the first chapter of Genesis says: "I have given you every seed-bearing weed, and the fruit of every seed-bearing tree to eat". It's very specific. and that's the original plan for human kind. So perhaps going against that is a sin?

I have scoured genesis as well and there is never mention of eating animals at all. I believe it states or describes a plant-based diet very well.

However, I was very confused to find this later mention in the book leviticus I believe... passages pertaining to which animals are clean to eat and which are considered an "abomination" or unclean to eat. In these verses it is stated very clearly for people not to eat certain animals and which ones may be eaten. 

Was this a temporary distinction? I don't "live by the book" so to speak and if I did, leviticus wouldn't be my book of choice, but what do you think of this?

The book of Leviticus spells out the rules for living as a Jewish person if you accept the Torah. the laws of Kashrut - i.e. Jewish dietary laws stem from there. There are many discussions on when exactly man started eating animal flesh, and how that came to be. One thing is certain, though:
The Eden state, meaning the ideal status of existence for mankind is eating strictly plant based food.

Beautiful passages as always, Ger :) I ALWAYS love to point these out, of course they typically get ignored. The Bible isn't good to a lot of people unless they can use it to spout their hatred. So sad.

Because a lot of people just vomit up what they've been told about the bible, rather than reading it. People should always question what they are told, many people can manipulate the words and passages of a text like the Bible in order to further their own agenda. I've seen it happen a lot of the time, especially some who try and twist quotes from the New Testament to say hate on gay people. 

"Love is not exlcusive, but inclusive" I love that, that should be a tattoo or a bumper sticker :)

HE WHO IS W/O FAULT, LET HIM CAST THE 1ST BEAN CURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY MAN SO DON'T GET TOO WRAPPED UP IN IT TO LOSE TOO MANY BRAIN CELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!  A FRIEND OF MINE & OMNIVORE CLAIMS VEGETARIANS SHOULDN'T BE "HOLIER-THAN-THOU" BECAUSE THE PLANTS THEY CONSUME HAVE SENSES & FEELINGS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  WTF...

Just one more reason to avoid religion at all costs

Telling Peter that nothing provided is unclean does NOT sanction eating meat. The issue is people reading into it and adding words in order to justify their eating habits. Unfortunately Bekah, the particular personal choice of eating meat has disasterous consequences when considering the degree to which meat is consumed on the planet. I think Christians and ALL self-proclaiming religious people should be on the frontline of vegetarianism. Most if not all religious texts make mention of eating meat and how it hinders spiritual growth. In the Bible, I believe it is most clearly stated within the 10 Commandments under "thou shall not kill." It doesn't make any distinction between a human life or another animal life. People make that distinction. So as time moves on and I revisit this thread I've come to realize that if I were a Christian, I'd have to believe with all my heart that EATING MEAT IS A SIN.
I understand what you are saying Bekah. I just think that there is a serious conflict between " Thou shall not kill" in one part of the book and then what you are talking about in another part. The bible has a big problem with consistency. Anyone who takes religion seriously understands that the taking of any life is wrong. The God of the bible is a compassionate god, yes, but this god is also murderous, genocidal, sexist and wrathfull and not for me. When on one hand we should not kill, but on another hand it is ok to kill certain animals deemed "clean," it sounds more like a book written by men than one which is divinely-inspired. There is nothing divine or moral about taking a life for 20 minutes of gastronomical pleasure. It is repulsive. It sounds like you're defending it even though you are a vegetarian and I get it. We can agree to disagree. No amount of biblical passages can convince me that it is acceptable to eat meat. We were commanded NOT to kill and if you believe that god sanctions the killing of certain animals then you're as foolish as the book that says so.
My question to you Bekah is how do YOU justify the killing of an animal since you don't consider eating meat a sin??

I dont know what Bekkah would say,,,but I would say eating meat is not a sin but killing an animal is.

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service