*It's more than likely that this question has been asked on here before but I am new to the site and curious. :)

I personally have loved animals all my life but grew up in a home of meat-eaters. I always wished I could be vegetarian but never had the guts to do it for various reasons. I remember, though, in high school I did a study on KFC chicken and saw videos of what they did to their chickens and I cried for hours. I never ate KFC chicken again but continued eating other meats.

Last December, I watched Vegucated with no intention of giving up meat, but when I watched it and saw the horrific truth of all factory farms I was horrified, and again, cried for hours. It was then I decided never to eat meat again and I haven't.

Only recently (April 10th) I heard about The China Study and watched a documentary that covered it and when I found out the immense benefits of being a vegan (plus I had always planned to become a vegan eventually) I decided it was time to switch. So I did.

So, how about you guys? What's your story?

:)

Views: 1226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have up meat after seeing "Meat Your Meat" narrated by Joaquin Phoenix.

What did it for me I was watching The Cove which made me think what else goes on.. So I started looking into other documentaries. I remember I was on break eating something that had a little bit of beef in it, I had one bite and felt sick I couldn't eat anymore. I haven't had meat since :)

Hi everyone, I'm a new vegetarian, soon to be vegan.  A few weeks ago I was surfing the web checking out diet sites.  I came across PETA's site and watched Paul McCartney's video about slaughterhouses.  I was horrified and shocked.  Here I was a member of the Humane Society and a volunteer at the local SPCA and I was contributing to such torture of these beautiful creatures.  I was so overwhelmed with guilt.  That was the moment I knew what I had to do.  It has been three weeks tomorrow.  It has been so easy for me that I wonder why I didn't do it earlier.  I have been checking out dairy farming to push me into being vegan.  I have read many of your posts and I am happy to be a part of this wonderful community.    

Hi my journey began when a cousin of mine started posting images of factory farms on his threads
(He is a vegetarian) and health warnings about meat. This triggered me to do some research of my own and I came across Animals Australia who are an organisation fighting for animal rights. From here I was enlightened about how bad factory farming is and I read some pretty distressing stories and watched a few things which I say was very very sad. Around the same time my neighbor bought a sheep and soon afterwards she had a lamb. I watched the interaction between mother and son and saw and howvshe protected him, cuddled up to him to sleep, they were always so close together and he was just the cutest thing - it loved running and jumping just like any small child. So I began to question how I could eat these creatures. Animals Australia then had a pledge to go meat free for a month so I did. It has been about 6 months now and I truly haven't missed it. I relented one night when I was at a wedding and just got served the beef/chicken choice and I ate a small piece of beef and it tasted so strong and yuk. I am still on a journey but feel good about my choice the hardest thing is telling family and friends but I find if i tell them its for health reasons they are more accepting though they do laugh at me and think i have lost the plot. Usually if i do say something about the factory farming they usually say please don't tell me I dont want to know because then i wont eat it!! what the!! Anyway getting back to my lamb story - one day my neighbor asked me if I had a cool room As they were soon to kill the lamb - I was horrified. I was helpless to stop it. Soon after one day I came home and I could see the mother running around wildly in this penned off area obviously really distressed and there before her was her lamb hauled up being gutted. This just sealed it for me.

I started 16 years ago when I was 16. Mostly for my own "selfish" reasons, that is my inner and outer wellbeing. Doing it for the animal reason is a great thing! But it's important to remember that we need a lot of info to stay healthy. You are in a much easier position than I was 16 years ago in Poland. No internet, not much information about being vegetarian at all! I was reading medical books my dad was bringing me from hospital :-)

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service