So I have a friend who is a very strict Mormon. She will do anything and everything for her religion. Sometimes when I talk to her about becoming vegetarian and the benefits for the planet, body, environment, and the sake of animals, she ends it by saying that the bible says it's okay. Apparently the bible says that man can eat anything that moves... I just normally say well if that's coming from the same book that says gays are a disgrace, how does it have anything to do with real people getting real health problems from eating meat? She just kind of stands there speechless and says that I should follow God and his right ways because it'll do me good in the future and for my body... She also eats it for "strength" 

What would you say to someone like her who is very religious? Has this happened to you? If not, what would you say? 

BTW- I hope I didn't offend anyone! 

Views: 13447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally killing for religious reasons sounds kinda wrong, 

But it's still better not to try and change her.

If she actually read the bible, in the beginning no one ate meat. It wasn't until Noah and the flood that God allowed people to eat meat. So, it was never God's intention for people to eat meat. 

I'm so glad that you said that! I tell people all the time that no one ate meat before the flood and they don't believe me. And I dunno if it was or not but I do know he told them it was ok after the flood.

I would tell them - to get the fuck out my house ;p

She needs to come to terms with it on her own time. I'm a Christian and I've met other Christians who like to cite the verse in Genesis that we are stewards of the whole earth. They take it as meaning we can do whatever we like with anything, but in reality, stewardship means taking care of something. So, while the Bible does kinda say it's totally fine to eat meat, it also says that He created everything and honestly I don't understand how you can kill one of Gods' creatures in order to eat it. Especially if said creature was treated  horribly while it was alive on top of that...

Anyways, maybe try to say that yes the bible says it's ok to eat meat but how do you really feel about it?

Yup -  ask her if her religion mandates her to eat meat. She could become vegetarian from different reasons (compassion, health,...) and as time goes by she will probably understand that her religion is not making her eat meat, and that she has a choice.

Usually some religions say that one should not eat this, or drink that, or do that, while the rest is ok to do, and it's ok. There are very few religions mandating eating meat.
For example: I'm a SDA pastor and although my church doesn't mandate us to be vegetarians or vegans (and about 90% of my congregations are meat eaters) I'm vegan. Christianity nowhere says that you HAVE to eat meat (usually the discussion is if it is allowed).
What I'm trying to say is - take the responsibility: Just because something might be allowed, doesn't mean that you can't abstain from it.

I loathe religion in any shape or form. It's the most backward-looking thing known to man.

The piety of these people is staggering and no doubt when they visit their churches on a Sunday, or any day for that matter, their alter-ego obsequiousness shines through for the clergy. The make me want to vomit.

Every day you can see these people crying out that they need money to fix the church roof, when their religion has billions in the bank, from investments in arms, tobacco, real estate and, perhaps, pedophilia. Who knows?

Religion has stood the test of time, through a litany of threats: hell, death by fire, punishment by god, rejection by the good people in the neighbourhood....................ad nauseum.

I am a very tolerant person, but where religion is concerned, not way.

It should be abolished on every land mass on Earth. 

Now, THAT is really really generalization. Christianity is just a worldview as is atheism or agnosticism - you have to believe in SOMETHING (concept how the world works, where we came from, what's our purpose). I respect your opinions about such world view, but why do you think you can judge Christians on the basis of other Christians.
It would be same for me if I would compare you to some bad atheist leaders.

You just can't generalize. And about your tolerance - you might try to rethink what it really means - not agreeing with someone's opinions, but accepting him/her as such.

As an atheist, I have much more evidence than any religion will ever have and I can generalise because Christians or any other religion, choose to put themselves in the firing line. To preach, one must be squeaky clean and there's the rub. To be inclusive, as it always the claim by most religions implies that they are. Why then did it take so long to ALLOW women into the priesthood? ALLOW! Who are these people who are so superior, (vainglorious), that they think they can set the rules on which society needs to live! How about that for arrogance. What makes it worse though is the fact that their disciples still follow them! Now that's how I can start to generalise! Why was Christianity so hell-bent on opposing homosexuality in the church, (unless of course, you happen to be a member of the buggering pedophiles in the catholic church - even when it was discovered to be endemic, they still denied it and continued to do it!) And their disciples still followed. Now I can generalise about the catholic church! Indeed, one must for the reasons of keeping your children away from harm's way, i.e. the buggering pedophiles of the catholic church.

The premise of Christianity is on the relevant scriptures in the good book, (you know, the good book that sees death by hell fire, sacrifice of innocent animals, incest, (in Genesis, Cain has a wife, though there is no account given of where his wife comes from. Excepting direct creation by God, as was the case for Adam himself, the only two obvious possibilities for Cain's wife are that she was either a full sister of Cain or she was Cain's mother Eve), the act of sin, (the entire premise of the christianity driver is sin and if one sins, one hates God and cannot be a christian. It is seen as an evil deed).

There was the story about Jesus sharing the loaves and fish. Do you think this was to try to get the message across that Christians should share with their neighbours? As a heathen, I do and I think it's a fantastic idea. So, it follows that when parts of the world, such as Africa, go into meltdown and there isn't any clean water or food to be had and people are dying, Christianity with all its wealth, (and boy, it is serious wealth), proactively pays for clean water supplies, staple foodstuffs, shelter, clothes, medical aid. 

Not quite. What the Christians do, is shake collection boxes on the high street. Now, this is a lovely gesture, but by the time you pay the Directors of Christian Aid, Salvation Army et al, their six figure salary, the donations are gone............BUT the church still has it's bank balance in tact.

Look at the Church of England or Catholicism - two of the richest entities on earth, practicing not what it preaches but what it needs to do to keep those coffers growing. You only need to look at how they invest their hard earned cash. Take the properties they have across the UK. Yes please! I would take a nice little four or five bedroom detached hose, gratis. Take the gold and silver in the church. Surely, they would sell this and give the poor a meal once in a while. It's not quite working, is it, this Christian thing. It's obscene!

You don't need to be a believer of any sort to be good. In fact, statistically, (if it was possible), we might find that most well-doers don't belong to a 'faith', whatever faith may be. One usually puts his or hers faith into people or organisations to do the right thing, to make the right call etc. All I can say is that Christians choose to remain in ignorant bliss..........or rather they pretend to, so as to keep the local Vicar close to themselves. Anybody, worth a sheckle would see all of these shortcmings, but Christians refuse to accept them. They need a spiritual crutch and hence make their religion their support............even though its action never really speak louder than words.

Not all Christian faiths are looking for power and money. Unfortunately, there are Christian faiths that do this. As far as the Bible is concerned, before the flood they didn't eat animals. Only when the flood occurred God said they could eat animals for sustenance. I don't eat meat because I can't stand the thought of an animal dying so I can eat. They feel pain. They have feelings and emotions. They are not human, but they are beings and should be respected and protected.

Most Christians do not become Christian because they are worried about doing good. Anyone can do good things, Christian, Muslum even atheist! That's what you said, Right?

As humans we have a desire to know where things come from. Christians are the same. The difference is most have read the Bible cover to cover several times and realize that even though those books were written over many hundreds of years they all coincide with each other. They also realize that science has left too many holes in the answer to creation of the world and the billions of different things on this planet whereas the Bible answers that.

Most Christians have faith in a higher power also because there is the faith that we will all die (even atheist have that faith) and once we die we will go to a much better place vs just sitting in darkness for eternity.

You have to realize one thing when you pull a passage or two out of the Bible. It is only a passage or two. Or just read one historical story, it's only one! It will never tell the whole historical story. That would be like taking one passage out of our history books and trying to tell the story of the USA from that.

There is no such thing as everyone have the same beliefs on this vast planet. But one thing we can have is a little more compassion to other peoples beliefs and not judge a group of people because of one or even a few things you may know or think you may know or seen.

Your a vegetarian so I know you have compassion for animals. Why are animals given more compassion by you then people and their beliefs????? Or at least that is how it seems by your comments above.

Anyway, it goes the same with any group judging the other group. Buddhists, Christians and atheist. There are many groups around this world that have a hand out for money. And many of them live only on donations as do all religions in the USA! Don't give to any charity if it bothers you! They live on donations ie the hand out.

And if you don't believe in a religion, then don't. That's your deal but please don't sit here and be-little and put down, berate or objurgate another group of people on their beliefs! Hmmm, Isn't that what you say the Christians did to woman, homosexuals etc?  Hmmmm! That would not do "any sort of good!" And it sure would give atheists a bad name if someone were to read your comment and is trying to decide if they wanted to have an atheist faith of religion!

RSS

Support Us

Events

© 2020   Created by Xiao Kang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service